From the Editors of Live Right Live Well
It takes just a few extra minutes to make decadent macaroni and cheese from scratch instead of a box. Whole-wheat macaroni boosts protein, fiber and whole-grain nutrients. Cut the total fat and saturated fat slightly by using a reduced-fat version of sharp cheddar and 1% low-fat milk. Just one cup of this scrumptious and comforting side dish contains over one-third of your daily value for calcium!
Makes 6 servings (1 cup per serving)
Ingredients12 ounces whole-wheat macaroni4 ounces reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese4 ounces fontina cheese2 cups 1% low-fat milk3 tablespoons all-purpose flour¼ teaspoon dry mustard½ teaspoon garlic powderSalt to taste
Directions 1. In a large 5-quart pan, cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and return to pan.
2. Grate or shred cheeses while macaroni cooks. Set cheeses aside.
3. In a large saucepan, whisk together milk, flour, mustard and garlic powder until thoroughly blended. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.
4. Reduce heat to low; stirring often, simmer for about 5 minutes until thickened.
5. Remove pan from heat, add shredded cheeses and stir until completely melted and smooth.
6. Add cheese sauce to macaroni and toss gently until all macaroni is coated. Salt lightly to taste if desired.
Nutrition information (per serving)380 calories21 g protein50 g carbohydrates11 g fat (7 g saturated)40 mg cholesterol354 mg sodium360 mg calcium2.3 mg iron535 IU vitamin A0 mg vitamin C5g fiber
More on heartburn recipes from our sponsor
To feature this article: