Quinoa Salad With Black Beans and Grilled Squash
From the Editors of Live Right Live Well
Not sure what to do with the abundance of seasonal zucchini and summer squash on display at your local supermarket? Grill them! Then toss with black beans, quinoa and other fresh garden vegetables like bell peppers, onions and garlic to create a squash salad rich in iron, fiber and vitamins A and C. Quinoa is the only whole grain that contains all the essential amino acids, making it a complete protein. Canned black beans boost the protein even further. (You can slash sodium by up to 45 percent if you rinse and drain them.) Make sure you have all ingredients chopped, sliced and diced before firing up the grill.
Makes 12 servings (1 cup per serving)
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/4 cups quinoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch diagonal slices
2 yellow summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch diagonal slices
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 to 5 green onions, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, diced to 1/4-inch slices
1 orange bell pepper, diced to 1/4-inch slices
Two 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
Freshly ground salt and pepper to taste, optional
1. In a medium saucepan, combine water, quinoa, salt and paprika. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Fluff and place in a very large bowl.
2. While quinoa cooks, preheat grill to medium heat.
3. In a small bowl, toss fresh squash slices with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Combine bell peppers, green onions and remaining 1 tablespoon olive in a grill-proof foil pan or foil pouch.
4. Place squash slices directly on oiled grill grates and grill about eight minutes until crisp-tender, turning once during cooking time.
5. Place bell pepper pan or pouch directly on grill and cook just until crisp-tender, about five to seven minutes, stirring several times.
6. While grilled vegetables cool slightly, add black beans, garlic, basil and parsley to quinoa.
7. Cut squash slices into quarters and add to quinoa mixture, along with bell pepper mixture. Toss all lightly to blend flavors.
8. Serve warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition information (per serving)
7 g protein
26 g carbohydrates
3.5 g fat (0.5 g saturated)
0 mg cholesterol
210 mg sodium
40 mg calcium
3 mg iron
761 IU vitamin A
66 mg vitamin C
6 g fiber
More on heartburn recipes from our sponsor
To feature this article:
- please select all code below (Ctrl. + A)
- copy to your clipboard (Ctrl. + C) and
- paste (Ctrl. + V) into your website