From the Editors of Live Right Live Well
Bored with steamed cauliflower? Create a whole new taste and texture sensation by oven-roasting it with olive oil and spices. Cauliflower turns toasty and brown, soft and caramelly when prepared this way. You might even convince non-cauliflower eaters to convert! Serve this low-calorie, fiber-rich vegetable as often as possible -- it’s full of cancer-fighting antioxidants and vitamin K, which may help reduce the risk of bone fractures.
Makes 5 servings (1 cup each)
Ingredients1 large head cauliflower (about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds)2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil3/4 teaspoon garlic powder1/4 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon pepper3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Directions1. Preheat oven to 450 F.
2. Coat a rimmed baking sheet (10 x 15 x 1 inch or larger) with vegetable cooking spray.
3. Wash, dry and remove leaves from cauliflower.
4. Break or cut into small, bite-sized pieces or florets.
5. Toss cauliflower pieces in large bowl with olive oil and all seasonings, making sure to coat all pieces.
6. Arrange cauliflower in single layer on baking sheet.
7. Roast, stirring once, until cauliflower is tender, golden and brown in many spots, about 20 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information (per serving)107 calories3.5 g protein10 g carbohydrates7 g fat (0 g saturated)0 mg cholesterol53 mg sodium41 mg calcium0.9 mg iron87 mg vitamin A80 mg vitamin C4 g fiber
More on heartburn recipes from our sponsor
To feature this article: