From the Editors of Live Right Live Well
Pancakes for a crowd couldn’t be easier to make when they’re baked in one big pan! Pour this fiber- and nutrient-rich batter -- filled with whole grains, banana and macadamia nuts -- in a rimmed sheet pan and then oven-bake. Whole-wheat flour, oats and flaxseed provide 100 percent whole-grain goodness, while bananas add potassium and natural compounds that can aid in weight loss. All of the spices provide disease-fighting antioxidants, and macadamias and coconut milk add a fun tropical flair. Find canned light coconut milk in your grocery’s Asian foods section.
Makes one large pancake, cut into 18 pieces (serves roughly 6 to 10 people)
Ingredients1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour2 cups old-fashioned oats1/4 cup ground flaxseed1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar1 tablespoon baking powder1 teaspoon allspice1/2 teaspoon nutmeg1 teaspoon Saigon cinnamon1/2 cup 1-percent low-fat milk1 cup light coconut milk3 large eggs1/4 cup canola oil1 tablespoon orange juice3/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts2 cups chopped banana (slices cut in half)Toasted coconut, chopped macadamia nuts, sliced bananas and maple syrup for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Coat a 10- by 15-inch rimmed baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, flaxseed, sugar, baking powder and all spices.
3. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together milk, coconut milk, eggs, canola oil and orange juice.
4. Stir liquid mixture into dry ingredients, mixing just until all ingredients are moistened.
5. Lightly stir in bananas and nuts, taking care not to over-mix.
6. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
7. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out nearly clean.
8. Cut into 18 squares and serve immediately, garnishing with maple syrup, chopped macadamias and banana slices if desired.
Nutrition information (per piece, without garnishes)200 calories5 g protein26 g carbohydrates10 g fat (1.5 g saturated)35 mg cholesterol74 mg sodium220 mg potassium47 mg calcium1.4 mg iron70 IU vitamin A3 mg vitamin C3.5 g fiber
More on heartburn recipes from our sponsor
To feature this article: