From the Editors of Live Right Live Well
Wondering what to do with the abundance of fresh zucchini from your garden or your local market? Bake a chocolate zucchini cake instead of the standard zucchini bread or muffins. Even though it’s still a decadent, rich cake, it offers nutrient perks: 60-percent whole-wheat flour for whole-grain goodness, plus canola oil instead of butter for lower saturated fat. Zucchini, pecans and cocoa powder offer good-for-you antioxidants. Cinnamon, espresso powder and orange zest add depth and balance the earthier whole-wheat flour.
Makes 16 servings
Ingredients1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour1 cup all-purpose flour1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder1 teaspoon instant espresso coffee powder2 teaspoons baking powder1 teaspoon baking soda1/2 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon ground cinnamon3/4 cup finely chopped pecans1 3/4 cups sugar3/4 cup canola oil3 large eggs2 teaspoons vanilla extract1/2 teaspoon fresh orange zest2 cups grated unpeeled zucchini (about 2 large)1/2 cup low-fat buttermilkPowdered sugar for sprinkling (about 1 tablespoon)
Directions1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Generously grease and lightly flour a Bundt cake pan or a 10-inch tube pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flours, cocoa, espresso powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir in chopped pecans.
3. In a large bowl, combine oil and sugar with an electric mixer until thoroughly blended. Add eggs, vanilla and orange zest and mix well. Fold in zucchini.
4. Add flour-nut mixture to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Mix just until blended.
5. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
7. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. Store at room temperature in tightly covered container.
Nutrition information (per serving)310 calories5 g protein40 g carbohydrates15.5 g fat (1.5 g saturated)40 mg cholesterol235 mg sodium144 mg potassium61 mg calcium2.2 mg iron90 IU vitamin A3 mg vitamin C3 g fiber
More on heartburn recipes from our sponsor
To feature this article: