Pan-seared Scallops With Cabernet Mushroom Shallot Sauce
From the Editors of Live Right Live Well
Cook this romantic -- and easy -- entree with your sweetheart. Sear heart-healthy and sweet-tasting scallops, and then combine them with a savory sauce of red wine, shallots and mushrooms. For easier searing, choose large sea scallops rather than tiny bay scallops. (They cook fast, so watch closely!) While salmon contains the most omega-3s of commonly eaten fish, all fish -- including scallops -- contain these heart-protective fats. And even the wine offers benefits: Heart-healthy polyphenols.
Makes 4 servings
1 1/4 pounds sea scallops, rinsed and patted dry
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3/4 cup finely minced shallots
1 pound button mushrooms, washed, trimmed and sliced
3/4 cup cabernet sauvignon wine
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon finely minced fresh marjoram
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add dry scallops to hot oil, leaving room between each one. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, then turn and sear other side for an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Scallops are done when they turn opaque.
- Remove from skillet and transfer to a serving platter. Cover to keep warm.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet. Heat oil while stirring and scrape skillet to loosen any browned bits.
- Add mushrooms and shallots, stirring frequently and cooking until they soften and brown (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the wine, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cook until the liquid is nearly evaporated.
- Remove from heat, stir in marjoram and serve immediately over seared scallops.
Nutrition information (per serving)
34 g protein
11 g carbohydrate
9 g fat (1 g saturated)
61 mg cholesterol
457 mg sodium
1,029 mg potassium
114 mg calcium
3.4 mg iron
475 IU vitamin A
8 mg vitamin C
1.5 g fiber
More on heartburn recipes from our sponsor
To feature this article:
- please select all code below (Ctrl. + A)
- copy to your clipboard (Ctrl. + C) and
- paste (Ctrl. + V) into your website