From the Editors of Live Right Live Well
What a way to start the morning: Three whole grains (whole-wheat flour, whole-grain cornmeal and whole oats) are packed into this easy, hearty, Belgian-style waffle to give you energy, extra protein and disease-fighting nutrients, including fiber for a healthy digestive system. Top it with sweet sliced fresh strawberries, which are rich in vitamin C, to help boost immunity. Leftover waffles can be individually wrapped and frozen.
Makes about 7-8 servings (1 waffle with 2/3 cup strawberries)
Ingredients2 cups white whole flour*3/4 cup uncooked quick-cooking oats1/4 cup whole-grain cornmeal**1/4 cup ground flaxseed1/2 teaspoon baking soda2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder1/2 teaspoon salt3 large eggs1/3 cup very firmly packed brown sugar2 3/4 cups low-fat buttermilk2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract1/2 teaspoon almond extract5-6 cups sliced strawberries
* White whole-wheat flour is 100 percent whole-grain but lighter in texture and color. Look for it next to the all-purpose and traditional whole-wheat flour.
** You can find 100 percent whole-grain cornmeal -- fine or medium grind for waffles -- alongside the other cornmeal in bags or pouch packs.
Directions1. Preheat a Belgian-style waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions. Oil it or coat it with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, oats, cornmeal, flaxseed, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and brown sugar. Whisk in buttermilk, oil and both extracts until thoroughly blended.
4. Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients, stirring just until combined.
5. Add recommended amount of batter to your waffle maker (usually around 2/3-3/4 cup) and distribute evenly with heat-resistant spatula. Close and cook until golden brown (usually about 3-5 minutes depending on your specific iron.)
6. Serve immediately with sliced strawberries. If you want to cook off the entire batch before eating, you can keep them warm in the oven. Simply preheat oven to 200 F and place a wire rack inside. Place cooked waffles on that rack to keep them warm and crisp.
Nutrition information (per serving)350 calories14 g protein53 g carbohydrate10 g fat2 g saturated fat90 mg cholesterol480 mg sodium578 mg potassium197 mg calcium3 mg iron184 IU vitamin A68 mg vitamin C9 g fiber
To feature this article: