From the Editors of Live Right Live Well
The next time you entertain, surprise all your guests with this nutrient-rich dip. It’s filled with everyone’s favorite pizza flavors, yet it contains a fraction of the fat and calories found in pizza! It’s so easy to make, and it starts with a traditional hummus base -- chickpeas and tahini, also known as sesame paste -- and includes tomato paste, Italian seasoning and garlic. Whole-wheat pita pockets cut into wedges stands in for the pizza crust.
Makes about 16 servings of 1/4 cup dip and 3 wedges
Hummus2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained (reserve 1 cup liquid)2 tablespoons tahini1 tablespoon olive oil3 tablespoons red wine vinegar1 tablespoon honey1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon tomato paste1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese4 moist sundried tomatoes, coarsely chopped3 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning1/2 teaspoon onion powder3/4 teaspoon saltOlive oil and chopped Italian parsley (optional hummus garnish)
Whole-wheat Pizza Crust Wedges6 whole pita pockets (6-inch diameter)1 large garlic clove, peeled and smashed slightly1 tablespoon olive oil1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
Directions1. Add all hummus ingredients to large food processor bowl along with 1/2 cup reserved chickpea liquid.
2. Puree until all ingredients are thoroughly combined and mixture is just starting to become smooth.
3. Add additional 1/4 cup chickpea liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired hummus texture is reached. Refrigerate hummus while preparing crust wedges, but serve hummus at room temperature.
4. Preheat oven to 375 F. Rub pitas thoroughly with slightly smashed garlic clove. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with crushed red pepper if desired.
5. Cut each circle into eight wedges and arrange in a single layer on one or two large baking sheets.
6. Bake until browned and slightly crispy, about 12 to 16 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature; store in airtight bag or container.
Nutrition information (per serving)175 calories6 g protein27 g carbohydrates5 g fat (0.5 g saturated)2 mg cholesterol434 mg sodium198 mg potassium41 mg calcium1.8 mg iron130 IU vitamin A4 mg vitamin C4.5 g fiber
To feature this article: