From the Editors of Live Right Live Well
Moroccan seasonings blend together in an earthy, sweet-spicy rub that tantalizes your taste buds while keeping you healthy. Most spices and herbs contain minimal fat and calories but offer natural antioxidants with health-promoting properties. Salmon is one of the richest sources of essential heart-healthy omega-3 oils. Use the seafood rule of thumb: Cook for roughly 10 minutes per inch of thickness. You’ll know it’s ready when it flakes easily with a fork. All the spices and herbs can easily be found in the spice/baking aisle or the gourmet foods section of your grocery store.
Makes 4 servings
IngredientsMoroccan Rub2 teaspoons roasted Saigon cinnamon2 teaspoons roasted cumin1 teaspoon ground coriander3/4 teaspoon turmeric1/2 teaspoon ground paprika1/2 teaspoon ground ginger1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
Salmon1 cup nonfat plain yogurt4 salmon fillets, about 5-6 ounces each, skin removedFresh Italian parsley and cilantro, chopped, for garnish
Directions1. Mix all Moroccan spice rub ingredients together in a small bowl.
2. In a separate small bowl, mix 2 teaspoons of the Moroccan spice rub with the yogurt. Keep refrigerated until serving time.
3. Rub the remaining Moroccan spice mixture on both sides of salmon fillets.
4. Liberally oil grill grates to prevent salmon from sticking. Raise heat to medium-high. Place salmon on grill and cook for 3-4 minutes. Gently turn the salmon with a metal spatula, taking care not to break the fillets. Slightly reduce heat to medium and cook until the salmon flakes (about 5-7 minutes, depending on thickness).
5. Arrange on a serving platter. Drizzle salmon with a small amount of spiced yogurt sauce, and sprinkle it with chopped fresh parsley and cilantro.
6. Serve with remaining yogurt sauce.
Nutrition information (per serving)323 calories34 g protein7 g carbohydrates17 g fat3.5 g saturated fat86 mg cholesterol130 mg sodium723 mg potassium168 mg calcium1.7 mg iron234 IU vitamin A6 mg vitamin C1 g fiber
To feature this article: